Skeletal animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeletal animations

Hey there. How are you doing in these weird times? Hope you are all fine.

I am struggling currently with the question what I actually wanna do as a new project.. like.. what do I want to achieve and what do I really need learn.

And for that I would like to know if support for skeletal animations in object models might be a thing in a future release of Afterwarp. I know this might be a gaming specific feature but then again I suppose they could also be used for machines in the professional area Afterwarp Framework is made for.

Hello. We are fine so far, staying and working at home. How have you been?

For the skeletal animations, I suppose this would be bone animations, right? If you could provide some test mesh with skeletal animation, I could investigate how feasible it would be to support that. Overall, I don't see any big issues in adding support for skeletal animations so it's just a question of having some working examples that I could test the framework with.

Comment

Well, our backyard is getting more and more boring But my 7yo son has learned to ride on inline skates pretty well.

I was searching for several free 3d models that have baked animations and I tried them in Open3Mod since this one is (if I understand that right) basicly the ASSIMP showcase tool. Unfornunatly it seems that Open3Mod doesnt load animations right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1crF...ew?usp=sharing

This is one of them, a Dragon model. I packed 2 FBX of it in the RAR. The first one has bones but no animations. The second one is with baked animations.
      When you load the first one in Open3Mod it seems to show correct bone positions. But on the second one it seems that these bones are scaled wrong which screws up the animations.

Anyway I tried opening the animated FBX with Blender and there the animation works, so I think the file is OK.

PS : I tried to get into Blender but... uugh... it might be free but it's not intuitive at all. Fortunatly Autodesk has announced that they will release their Indie license world wide. I will rather wait for an affordable 3dsmax version than trying to "love" blender. Then I can finally really get back to modeling.

Comment

Indeed staying at home for prolonged time interval is quite unusual and can be rather stressful. I am myself doing regular walks with my son, who has almost same age as yours, but without being able to do traditional exercises is generally not good for health. It's difficult to control weight this way.

Thanks for the test model. Please note that besides ASSIMP, there are few experimental internal 3D model loaders in Afterwarp that are under active development. One such loader is for OBJ format, which is fairly common and used by multiple of our clients. Adding additional loaders helps to provide certain independence from ASSIMP and also improve the loading performance. For this reason, if there is a common 3D format that includes bone animations, I would definitely look into supporting that.

Generally speaking, bone/skeletal animations would be an interesting addition to Afterwarp, but it's important to define well what would be the requirements and how much high-level support should be provided. For this reason I am asking for specific examples and use-cases that need to be solved, so that these tasks can be addressed directly by the framework.

Throughout the framework, extreme programming and software engineering paradigms including YAGNI and KISS are actively being pursued; so, a certain feature is added only when it is explicitly required to solve a particular problem, not just because it "seems useful" and "might be needed in the future". In this case, bone animation was one among a list of features that were deemed useful, but not addressed until someone actually requests them.

Comment

Throughout the framework, extreme programming and software engineering paradigms including YAGNI and KISS are actively being pursued; so, a certain feature is added only when it is explicitly required to solve a particular problem, not just because it "seems useful" and "might be needed in the future". In this case, bone animation was one among a list of features that were deemed useful, but not addressed until someone actually requests them.
          Sounds reasonable. I will come back to it once I can get back to 3DSMax and modeling. Thanks for your time insight.

Comment

Working...
          X